CNCDIY Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CNCDIY Club

Share your experience with CNCDIY's Machine

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
cnc

Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly! Empty
PostSubject: Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly!   Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 12:28 am

Installed the gantry and did an initial test by turning the X axis stepper knob to move the spindle from end to end on the x axis. While doing this, at various points I could feel the knob shuddering. Hardly smooth at all!

Next, I powered up the machine and repeated the test but this time using Mach3. I could see the spindle jerking a bit while moving from left to right across the X-axis. If I now move it back to its starting point (i.e. right to left), it would not end up at its starting point - it has lost some steps!

Some thing is out of alignment, and I believe this is causing the shuddering and loss of X position. Could someone please suggest how to fix this. Your help is much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
cncdiy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly!   Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 8:08 am

Please try to reduce the value of the "Velocity In's or mm's per min."
[img]Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly! Aoaa-a10[/img]
Back to top Go down
https://cncdiy.forumotion.com
cnc

PostSubject: Re: Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly!   Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 5:16 pm

OK, will try and report back. Thanks cncdiy.

cncdiy wrote:
Back to top Go down
cnc

PostSubject: Re: Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly!   Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:10 pm

cncdiy,

Tried velocities of 500 and 1000. No difference can be seen Sad I expected the x axis to move along smoothly but I notice sporadic pauses while it moves from end to end. As mentioned in earlier post, repeatability is poor (due to lost steps or backlash?).

Is it possible that the ballscrew and/or guides have gone out of alignment during transit resulting in higher friction? If this is true, what are the correct steps to realign?

The y axis seem to have a similar problem but not as bad as x. I've not tested z axis.

The machine is very noisy while the axes are moving. There's quite a bit of vibration too. Are these normal?

cncdiy wrote:
Back to top Go down
cncdiy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly!   Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 11:45 pm

Can you make a video for you machine?

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
cnc

PostSubject: Re: Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly!   Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 7:51 pm

I was about to make a video of this when I decided to try a different motor tuning setting - 320 (steps), 2000 (vel), 200 (acc), 10 (step pulse), 5 (dir pulse) and I am please to say that these settings work beautifully! No lost steps and machine noise is now more acceptable.

If anyone is experiencing the problems (see first post in this thread) I had with 6040, I recommend the above settings. Don't use the suggested values in the manual.

Wishlist : support for limit switches would be great! Any possibility to modify the controller box for this, cncdiy?

cncdiy wrote:
Can you make a video for you machine?

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
cncdiy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly!   Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 10:24 am

Thank you very much for you suggestion. We are still finding the reason of the problem, because some users was set the velocity to 2000mm/min, the machine was lost step and not smooth. Some people set 1000mm/min, the machine is work well. We hope our user to tell us your setting in Mach 3 for obtaining the best operation.

Furthermore, about the limit switches connection, we will post the details before 2011.

Sorry for the delay!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly!   Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help! - 6040 X-axis is not running smoothly!
Page 1 of 1